Screenwriters’ Bootcamp has been running on PEI for twelve years providing professional development for emerging and mid-career screenwriters from Atlantic Canada and, increasingly, across Canada. New this year is Road to Production, a workshop for producer/writer teams who have a project in development. At least one participant has to be a PEI resident. Workshops run May 19 to 24. For more information, visit the PEI Screenwriters’ Bootcamp website.
The Government of Prince Edward Island will spend an additional $3.5 million on culture and creative industries on PEI over the next five years under its new strategy.
The document, Cultivating Growth, was released on November 20 and includes many changes to the bureaucracy around creative industries and a fund to support expansion in the PEI film industry.
The strategy lists 39 other action items, including:
- A creative industries secretariat to support creative industries and manage cultural development opportunities
- An advisory council to identify and support artist live-work spaces
- A policy to use Island music and film in government promotional material
- New and expanded training and mentorship programs for theatre and film
- Investment in a craft development centre
- A digital archive of the P.E.I. heritage and museum collection
The strategy was created with input from focus groups, group interviews and pop-up cafés across P.E.I. this year, as well as a public online survey which gathered more than 1,500 responses.
The full Cultivating Growth document can be found here.